City Council approves immediate hiring of 3 EMT/Firefighters
- klweber2771
- Oct 13
- 3 min read
Updated: Oct 14

At their October 6, 2025, meeting, the Menomonie City Council approved the immediate hiring of three full-time firefighter/EMTs to address critical staffing shortages in the Fire Department.
Fire Chief Denny Klass told the council the department is struggling to maintain adequate coverage and has been relying heavily on overtime to meet demand. “We’re in critical, immediate need,” he said, adding that staff shortages have made it difficult to grant time-off requests and have led to one recent resignation. A staffing study done earlier this year showed the department needs 12 to 15 additional positions to meet current service demands.
Klass said the city’s pay is competitive with other departments and noted that a new 48/96 work schedule starting in January should help attract experienced applicants. The cost of the three new positions, including benefits, is about $330,000. City Administrator Eric Atkinson will look at adding the positions to the 2026 budget and said the city can absorb the cost for the remainder of 2025.
Fire and EMS contract with Rural District approved
The council also approved a new five-year agreement between the City of Menomonie and the Menomonie Rural Fire/Emergency Medical Services District (Rural District), covering January 1, 2026, through December 31, 2030. The Rural District — which includes the Towns of Dunn, Menomonie, Lucas, Sherman, Tainter, Red Cedar, Spring Brook, Weston, and the Village of Knapp — will gradually increase its contribution from 8% to 30% of the Fire Department’s annual budget. Rural calls currently account for about a quarter of total responses and are typically more time-consuming due to the longer travel distances involved.
Under the agreement, the Rural District’s payments to the city will increase by 4.4% each year until the 30% contribution level is reached.
GFL rezoning request withdrawn
A public hearing proceeded as scheduled regarding a rezoning request from GFL Solid Waste, even though the company had withdrawn its application earlier. GFL requested to rezone a parcel adjacent to its Midway Road facility from Agricultural to Restricted Industrial after the city received complaints about dumpsters being stored on the property, which is a non-conforming use. In a letter dated April 4, 2025, GFL was told by the city that they needed to either up the area or request a rezone of the property. The council referred the rezoning request to the Plan Commission, and at their September 28th meeting, the Plan Commission unanimously recommended denying the request. At the hearing, GFL General Manager Mark Vinall and two neighborhood residents spoke. The dumpsters will be removed from the property.
Recreation rate increases approved
Recreation Manager Mitch Stai received council approval for new recreation program and rental rates, effective January 1, 2026. Stai said the increases reflect higher wages, facility costs, and supplies. The new rates include:
Recreation programming: +$3
Birthday party packages at the Leisure Services Center: $150 to $200
Adult volleyball leagues: $200 to $225
Wakanda Waterpark party room rental: $85 to $100
The Recreation Advisory Board had previously endorsed the changes.
Grant applications to Wisconsin DOT
Public Works Director David Schofield received approval to submit several transportation-related grant requests to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
Proposed projects include 14th Avenue East: pavement replacement from 9th Street to the city limits and reconstruction between 6th and 9th Streets East; installation of flashing pedestrian beacons near River Heights and Oaklawn Elementary Schools; and redirection of pedestrian traffic near the hospital.
Schofield pointed out that the city may not receive approval for any of the grant requests.
In other business
The council introduced an ordinance that would reduce the minimum lot size for single-family homes, referring it to the Plan Commission for review. The Ad-Hoc Housing Committee has already recommended approval, believing that smaller lot sizes could allow for more compact, affordable housing options. Before 1970, standard lots were 66 by 132 feet, but the requirement was later increased to 80 feet wide.
At the September 30, 2025, Ad-Hoc Housing Committee meeting, a question arose regarding whether or not the Mayor is a voting member of the committee. The council has been asked to clarify. A motion was made that the mayor be a voting member. The motion passed with Brennen and Yonko voting no.
The council awarded the 2026–2030 Solid Waste Site Refuse and Recycling Hauling Contract to GFL Solid Waste, the current provider and low bidder. The contract covers hauling, disposal, and recycling services at the city’s solid waste site.
Council also approved a $41,877.50 contract with Visu-Sewer to repair sanitary sewer pipe joints near Evans Lane and Ingalls Road using a “cure-in-place” lining system. The method avoids the need to excavate and replace the roadway.
The city renewed its 2026 Safety and Health Consulting Agreement with Keeping Safety Simple, LLC for $21,000.

_edited.jpg)



